Implementing The Daily 5? Explore Daily 5 topics, share your ideas, experiences and add new questions about everything from assessment to teaching tips to unique situations.
Applying The Daily 5 to your kindergarten classroom? Go to the “Kindergarten” category for discussions about adjusting Daily 5 practices for these energetic students!
The Daily 5™ is a framework for structuring literacy time. It frees teachers to work with students one-on-one and in small groups so they develop the lifelong habits of reading, writing, and working independently.
Students select from five authentic reading and writing choices, working independently toward personalized goals, while the teacher meets individual needs through whole-group and small-group instruction, as well as one-on-one conferring. The five choices are:
- Read to Self,
- Work on Writing,
- Read to Someone,
- Listen to Reading,
- and Word Work.
- Students develop independence, stamina, and accountability;
- Less time consumed by classroom management leaves more for instruction;
- The framework adapts to district-adopted curriculums and state mandates;
- Improves school-wide literacy achievement; and
- Behaviors of independence transfer to other content areas.
Get resources and learn more at thedailycafe.com